I also found a great read from Donate Life America that lays it all out very simply! Check it out HERE.
Some interesting tidbits from Donate Life America:
- A living organ donor can give a kidney, or a portion of the liver, lung, intestine, or pancreas
- A deceased organ donor can give kidneys, pancreas, liver, lungs, heart, intestinal organs
- Only 30% of kids who need a transplant actually get it
- Unlike organs, tissues can be donated up to 24 hours after a person's heart has stopped beating.
- Every 11 minutes another name is added to the national organ transplant waiting list.
- An average of 18 people die each day from the lack of available organs for transplant.
- In 2008, there were 7,984 deceased organ donors and 6,218 living organ donors resulting in 27,961 organ transplants.
- 90% of Americans say they support donation, but only 30% know the essential steps to take to be a donor.